Learn how to make a pretty traditional origami lotus flower with these easy steps. Make a beautiful origami flower and give it as a gift, add it to a bouquet, or use a decoration on top of a gift box. You can make this out of a paper or fabric napkin as well. If you love making this flower, and have succeeded with the tricky part of unfolding the petals and other basic folds, try making lotus napkins for your dinner table. There are also other versions of origami lotus flowers to make to add to your collection.
For a sophisticated decoration, nest together various sizes of lotus flowers. Use several different sizes, colors, and patterns of papers to make your flowers, then layer them for a unique petal formation.
To create this single origami lotus, it will be easiest to start with a large, thin piece of paper. The final flower always ends up about half the size of the actual piece of paper so keep that in mind when choosing your paper.
- 1 square piece of thin paper in your choice of color, pattern, and size
Easy Origami Lotus Tutorial - Step 1
If you have paper with color on one side and white on the other, start this step with the white side up.
- Fold your paper in half diagonally both ways.
- Fold a corner to the middle.
- Then fold all of the corners to the middle.
- Keep those corners folded into the middle and then for a second time, fold them into the middle.
Easy Origami Lotus Tutorial - Step 2
- Fold in one of the already twice-folded corners to the middle for a third time.
- Continue folding in the twice-folded corners to the middle for a third time.
- All four twice-folded corners should be folded into the middle for a third time.
- Turn the small square paper over to the back so you do not see any of the folds.
Easy Origami Lotus Tutorial - Step 3
- Fold all of these corners to the middle for the last time.
- Along the way, take the time to flatten the folds so they are crisp.
- Make a small pinch on one corner and turn it slightly up towards you.
- Holding onto the pinch with one hand, use your other hand to pull at the layer of paper on the back.
- Flip the paper over and while still holding the pinch, gently but firmly pull the paper out and over to the other side.
Easy Origami Lotus Tutorial - Step 4
- You should have a little petal formed.
- On the inside of that petal, flip the little triangle upwards.
- Repeat the process on the other three corners.
- Pull the next layer of flaps over to the front.
Patience Is Key
It's common for petals to rip when flipping them over. Don't give up!
Easy Origami Lotus Tutorial - Step 5
- Carefully straighten out the petals.
- Open out the petals of the lotus a bit.
- If you have more paper, make a smaller or flower and pop it inside.