A small crochet blanket can be used as a baby blanket or a lapghan (a petite afghan that's perfect for laps), and this project makes for a wonderful gift or charity donation. This pattern is easy—even a beginner crocheter can work this design. It does not take long to complete, and the stitches can be very meditative and relaxing, making it great for mindfulness crochet.
- Chain - ch
- Double crochet - dc
- Single crochet - sc
This crochet pattern is worked with worsted weight yarn—use baby-safe yarn if designing it as a baby blanket.
- Approximately 21 oz. worsted weight yarn
- Size G crochet hook
This crochet lapghan is about 32 inches x 42 inches.
A group of 3 dc stitches should equal 3/4 inch wide, and two pattern repeat rows (rows 3 and 4) should equal 1 inch.
Crochet Lapghan Free Pattern Instructions
The stitches in this crochet pattern are very simple. The most important thing is to pay attention to the placement of those stitches. Some stitches are placed in the back loop only, and others are worked through both loops. This gives the correct texture and tension for the blanket, so be careful as you first begin working the pattern:
- Chain 134 stitches, making sure to keep the size consistent.
- Row 1: Working in back loops only for this row, sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in each ch across.
- Row 2: ch 3 (counts as first dc), dc in both loops of each of next 2 sc, * skip 3 sc of previous row, then (3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) all in back loop of next sc, skip 3 sc of previous row, dc in both loops of each of next 3 sc **, repeat from * to ** as many times as needed across row.
- Row 3: ch 3 (counts as first dc), dc in both loops of each of next 2 dc, * ch 3, skip next 3 dc, in chain-1 space work 3 sc, ch 3, skip next 3 dc, dc in both loops of each of next 3 dc ** repeat from * to ** across row.
- Row 4: ch 3 (counts as first dc), dc in both loops of each of next 2 dc, * skip the ch-3, skip next sc, then (3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) all in back loop of next sc, skip next sc, skip the next ch-3, dc in both loops of each of next 3 dc ** repeat from * to ** across row.
- Additional Rows: Repeat rows 3 and 4 until the piece measures about 41 inches.
- Next to the Last Row: Repeat row 3.
- Last Row: ch 1, sc in first dc, sc in each of next 2 dc * 2 sc in ch-3 space, sc in both loops of each of next 3 sts ** repeat from * to ** across row, end row with 2 sc in last ch-3 space, sc in each of last 3 dc.
- End off—if desired, add an edging of your choice.