This is a free crochet pattern for a small blanket that can be used as a baby blanket or a lapghan. This pattern is easy; even a beginner crocheter can work this design. It works up quickly and is very meditative and relaxing, making it great for mindfulness crochet. This crochet lapghan is a terrific item to make for gifts as well as for charity donations.
Abbreviations Used in This Crochet Blanket Pattern
- ch - chain
- dc - double crochet
- sc - single crochet
- st(s) - stitch(es)
Materials for Free Crochet Lapghan Pattern
This crochet pattern is worked with worsted weight yarn; use baby-safe yarn if designing it as a baby blanket.
- Approximately 21 oz. worsted weight yarn
- Size G crochet hook
Finished Blanket Size
This crochet lapghan is about 31 1/2" x 42", sized for a baby blanket, afghan for a small child or for a lap robe.
Correct gauge: a group of 3 dc stitches = 3/4" wide; 2 pattern repeat rows (rows 3 and 4) = 1"
Crochet Lapghan Free Pattern Instructions
The stitches in this crochet pattern are very simple. The most important thing is to pay attention to the placement of those stitches. Some stitches are placed in the back loop only and others are worked through both loops. This gives the correct texture and tension for the blanket so be careful as you first begin working the pattern:
- Chain 134.
- Row 1: Working in back loops only for this row, sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in ea ch across.
- Row 2: ch 3 (counts as 1st dc), dc in both loops of each of next 2 sc, * skip 3 sc of previous row, then (3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) all in back loop of next sc, skip 3 sc of previous row, dc in both loops of each of next 3 sc **, repeat from * to ** as many times as needed across row.
- Row 3: ch 3 (counts as 1st dc), dc in both loops of each of next 2 dc, * ch 3, skip next 3 dc, in chain-1 space work 3 sc, ch 3, skip next 3 dc, dc in both loops of each of next 3 dc ** repeat from * to ** across row.
- Row 4: ch 3 (counts as 1st dc), dc in both loops of each of next 2 dc, * skip the ch-3, skip next sc, then (3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) all in back loop of next sc, skip next sc, skip the next ch-3, dc in both loops of each of next 3 dc ** repeat from * to ** across row.
- Additional Rows: Repeat rows 3 and 4 until the piece measures about 41".
- Next to the Last Row: Repeat row 3.
- Last Row: ch 1, sc in first dc, sc in each of next 2 dc * 2 sc in ch-3 space, sc in both loops of each of next 3 sts ** repeat from * to ** across row, end row with 2 sc in last ch-3 space, sc in each of last 3 dc.
- End off. If desired, add an edging of your choice.