The Dremel 3000 Variable Speed Rotary Tool is a key player in the Dremel rotary tool line. It boasts some very useful features, including the EZ Twist integrated wrench/nose cap, which allows the user to loosen or tighten the collet to switch out accessories quickly and easily without the need for a collet wrench. The tool is sold as part of a kit that includes two special attachments and 28 accessories, all in a hard-shell plastic carrying case.
The Dremel 3000 rotary tool is a mid-range tool in the long-standing line of Dremel's signature rotary tools, and for everyday rotary tool fans, this one doesn't disappoint. It comes with plenty of key features, including:
- The EZ Twist integrated wrench/nose cap, which allows the collet to be tightened/loosened without a collet wrench
- 1/8-inch, 3/32-inch, 1/16-inch, and 1/32-inch collets for various accessory shank sizes
- Variable-speed 120-volt, 1.2-amp motor with no-load speed settings ranging between 5000-35,000 rpm
- A very helpful set of well-written operating manuals that include listings for the recommended speed settings as well as charts showing which materials each accessory is designed for
- A shaft lock button to hold the motor in place while changing accessories
- An adjustable hanger on the back of the motor housing
Pros and Cons of the 3000 Rotary Tool
Overall, this rotary tool is a solid performer with plenty of user-friendly features.
In terms of power, it falls in the middle of the range of corded Dremel rotary tools, offering 1.2 amps. The 100 and 200 series tools have 0.9 amps, while the 4000 and 4300 tools offer 1.6 and 1.8 amps, respectively.
The tool's double ball-bearing construction is deigned to run cooler, making it more comfortable to use for extended periods.
The design also features user-accessible carbon brushes so users can replace the brushes to extend the life of the tool. It's backed by a 4-year limited manufacturer's warranty.
On the downside, while the 3000 works with most Dremel rotary accessories and attachments, it is not compatible with the PL400 and MS400 attachments. Also, as a mid-range tool, it does not have some of the higher-performance features of the more advanced rotary tools, such as electronic feedback to ensure smooth power delivery under variable loads and speeds or LED lights.
Accessories Included With the 3000 Rotary Tool
The 3000 rotary tool kit includes a pair of attachments (a sanding and grinding guide plus a cutting guide) that fit neatly into their reserved spots in the protective plastic storage case, as well as 28 accessories, which include:
- 107 - Engraving cutter for detail engraving, carving and routing in wood, fiberglass, plastic and soft metals
- 191 - High-speed cutter made of high-grade steel for cutting wood, plastic, and soft metals
- 401 - Mandrel used to hold polishing bits and accessories
- 402 - Mandrel used to hold cut-off wheels
- 403 - Nylon bristle brush for cleaning and polishing silver, jewelry, and other precious metals
- 407 - 1/2-inch sanding drum mandrel for use with Dremel sanding bands (408, 432 & 445)
- 408 - Two 1/2-inch, 60-grit coarse sanding bands, used with the 407 sanding drum mandrel
- 414 - Three felt polishing wheels (1/2-inch) designed for polishing metals and plastics
- 415 - Two 1/2-inch, 60-grit sanding bands, used with the 407 sanding drum mandrel
- 421 - Polishing compound for use with 414 felt polishing wheels; removes film and imperfections from metals and plastics
- 426 - Two 1 1/4-inch fiberglass-reinforced cut-off wheels for cutting metal and hardened steel
- 428 - Carbon Steel Brush for removing rust and corrosion as well as polishing of metal surfaces
- 429 - Two 1-inch felt polishing wheels, used for polishing rough surfaces to a finely honed finish
- 432 - Two 1/2-inch, 120-grit medium sanding bands, used with the 407 sanding drum mandrel
- 445 - Two 1/2-inch, 240-grit fine sanding bands, used with the 407 sanding drum mandrel
- 561 - Multi-purpose cutting bit for cutting wood, plastic, fiberglass, drywall, laminates, and more
- 932 - Aluminum-oxide grinding stone for general grinding of metals, welds, rusted surfaces, and more
- 952 - Tapered aluminum-oxide grinding stone for general grinding of metals, welds, rusted surfaces, and rivets
- 953 - Narrower tapered aluminum-oxide grinding stone for general grinding of metals, welds, and rusted surfaces
- 7144 - Diamond wheel point used for fine detail work, cutting, engraving, touch-up, and finishing on wood, steel, and other hardened materials
- 84922 - Silicon carbide grinding stone for grinding and etching stone, glass, porcelain, and ceramic materials
- EZ Twist nose cap wrench (for fast, wrench-free accessory changes)
- Collet wrench
- Accessory case, which fits neatly inside the storage case
One Minor Complaint
If there is one obvious area for improvement with the 3000, it would be to add an on/off switch that is separate from the variable-speed switch. This would allow users who like to keep their rotary tool set at a specific speed from having to adjust the speed every time the unit is turned on. This feature is included with Dremel's 4000 and 4300 rotary tools, and it would make the 3000 a slightly more advanced and convenient tool.
Disclosure: Review samples were provided by the manufacturer. For more information, please see our Ethics Policy.