01 of 06
Celebrate Summertime With a Sunflower Craft
Sunflowers are a classic symbol of summer and sunflower-themed crafts are such fun to make. Kids love doing crafts that replicate things they see in the world, especially something as beautiful and bold as a sunflower. This bright and cheery craft is simple to make–you only need a few basic craft supplies. The results are adorable and something your kids can be really proud of.Continue to 2 of 6 below.
02 of 06
Gather Your Materials
First, you'll need to gather some basic craft supplies. Anything on this list that you don't have can easily be found at a craft store.
Continue to 3 of 6 below.
- Construction paper
- Tissue paper
- Craft stick
- Green marker
- Black marker
- Pipe cleaner (optional)
03 of 06
Cut Out the Flower Petals
Continue to 4 of 6 below.
- First, color your craft stick green.
- Then, use your scissors to cut out sunflower petals in various sizes from yellow tissue paper. You will want a bunch of them, as each child will layer several onto their craft. We used 20 to 30 petals per sunflower. Let your preschoolers cut them out themselves–using scissors is a great fine motor activity for kids.
04 of 06
Glue the Flower Stem
Continue to 5 of 6 below.
- Glue the colored craft stick onto your construction paper. This will be your stem.
- Use the black marker to draw a circle, which will be the center of your flower. This point can be used by your kids as a guide for laying their petals.
05 of 06
Glue the Flower Petals
Continue to 6 of 6 below.
- Put glue around your flower center (the black circle). You can use regular white glue–have the kids squeeze out a small circle around the flower center–or you can use a glue stick or white glue and a paintbrush if your kids have a hard time squeezing the bottle.
- Layer your flower petals around the flower center, adding more glue as needed.
06 of 06
Add the Finishing Touch
- Curl a pipe cleaner and glue it to the center of your sunflower. A sparkly gold one is a perfect choice. If you don't have a pipe cleaner don't fret, this sunflower craft looks great even without the pipe cleaner.
- Display your completed craft on your art wall or fridge. Either way, these sunflowers look so cute.