You’ll be the life of the party when you know how to make this charming tassel garland. Sure you could buy this at a party store, but where’s the fun in that? They tend to be sort of pricey and rip easily, so you’re better off making your own version. Plus—this way you can customize the color combinations you use. You'll use tissue paper for this craft and it comes in basically every shade you can imagine and in numerous patterns, as well. From one 20-inch by 20-inch sheet of tissue paper, you'll be able to make two tassels.
Even if you’re not planning a party, garlands of all shapes can be festive pieces of home decor that look right at home in an office, kid’s room, or playroom. A garland is an affordable touch that adds color, texture, and a little fluttery movement into a room.
For this garland, you just need three items, plus your own two hands. This is the kind of project you’ll want to do while you’re watching your favorite show because it’s easy, fairly repetitive, and it becomes a soothing activity after a while.
Equipment / Tools
- Sheets of 20-inch by 20-inch tissue paper
- Decorative twine or string
Cut Your Fringe
- Start out by folding your piece of tissue paper in half.
- Then fold each side of the tissue paper in half again. You’ll end up with two pieces that each have a fold.
- Take your scissors and cut a fringe down the entire length of the tissue paper. Leave an inch of tissue paper untouched across the entire top of the tissue paper (this will be the folded side).
Roll the Tassel
- Unfold and lay the tissue out on a flat surface so you have fringe on one side, the uncut gap is in the center, and then more fringe on the other side.
- Firmly but gently, roll the uncut gap with the fringe on either side into a tube-like structure.
- Once you’ve rolled the entire length of the tissue paper, fold the tube in half and twist at the top to form a loop.
- Secure the loop with a small piece of string, which also adds a tiny detail and decorative touch.
- Repeat this entire process until you've made a bunch of tassels.
String It All Together
- Take all of your finished tassels and add them onto a decorative string in any way or color combination you'd like.
- Once the tassels are sitting on the string, you can adjust and spread them out where you’d like them.
- Time to decorate with your brightly colored garland that will add plenty of personality wherever you choose to place it.