It's hard to walk through the card aisle and find just the right one that captures your unique bond with your mom. This year on her special day, instead of settling for a generic card, why not make your own version? Get creative and design a card to impress her, make her laugh, or immortalize one of your favorite inside jokes. What mom can resist a homemade gift?
Equipment / Tools
- Pinking shears
- Glue stick
- Craft adhesive
- Hole punch (optional)
- 2 Card stock in your choice of two colors
- Adhesive letter stickers
- Small model, miniature, or applique
Cut Your Card Shape
Start with two pieces of card stock.
- Fold your first piece of card stock in half. The fold will become the spine of your card.
- Cut the card down to your desired size.
- Do the same with the second piece of card stock. Cut down the second piece so it fits comfortably into the first piece. Check to make sure it fits, but don't glue it in yet.
Choosing Card Stock Colors
Your card will look best if you choose complementary colors or different shades in the same color family.
Shear the Borders
- Use your pinking shears to slowly cut a crisp border on the edge of the outer card.
- Do the same by slowly cutting a crisp border on the edge of the inner card.
- Use a glue stick to attach the inner piece of card stock inside the outer piece.
Hole Punch the Edges
Add a little pizzazz to your card by hole punching the edges of the outer card. The hole punches will show off the contrasting color of your inner card poking through.
Decorate the Front of the Card
- Keep the front of the card simple by adding a clever line or a pun created with glittery adhesive letters.
- Decorate the front of the card by using adhesive glue to attach a tiny model, miniature, or applique above or below the letters.
Finding the Perfect Miniature
If you're looking for an item to embellish the cover of your card, look in the scrapbook or dollhouse section of a craft store for a selection of miniatures.