Whenever we make crochet gifts for mom, we are telling her that she is special enough to deserve our time and craft skills. That is what makes a handmade gift so much more special than something bought at the store. Crochet is the perfect technique for crafting a unique handmade gift for mom because of its versatility. Whether her style is feminine, functional, or a combination of the two, it is easy to find something to make for her that lets her know she's loved. Here are some top suggestions for what to crochet mom for Mother's Day, her birthday, the holidays or just because.
01 of 09
Crochet a special handbag or purse for mom. Personalize it just for her by choosing yarn in her favorite colors. Crochet purses range in size from coin purses to huge market totes so you'll also want to think about what your mother needs most this year.
A related gift is a crochet cell phone cozy. You can also make gadget cozies for iPads and other devices. Most moms these days are connected in some way; these gifts reminds her of your love each time she takes out her phone.
02 of 09
Moms always love showing off what their children have made, even when their children are adults. Scarves make lovely crochet gifts for mom to show off. Any woman of any age can find a reason to wear a crochet scarf on almost any day of the year. Scarves don't require any shaping, so they are a great item for beginner crocheters.
03 of 09
If you are a more advanced crafter who wants to make really special crochet gifts for mom, tackle a pattern for a crochet sweater or cardigan. This is the kind of gift that you can really tailor to her size and style.
04 of 09
Handmade slippers make a thoughtful gift for just about anyone, including moms and grandmothers. The women in your life probably spend a lot of time on their feet getting things taken care of for everyone else, so it's a nice treat for them to slip into those slippers and put their feet up for a change.Continue to 5 of 9 below.
05 of 09
Jewelry is always a popular gift for women. Making your own one-of-a-kind crochet jewelry puts a personalized twist on a gift that can be almost impersonal because it is so common. Crochet jewelry can be as exquisite as what's bought in the store, especially if worked in wire with beads added. Alternatively, you can make chunky crochet jewelry from yarn that has crafty, graphic appeal or fine thread crochet jewelry crafted on small hooks. Whatever her style, there's a crochet jewelry pattern for the mom that you know.
06 of 09
Fresh flowers are a lovely Mother's Day present, but unfortunately, they wilt and die. Wouldn't it be better to give Mom crochet flowers that last forever?!
Some ways that you can use crochet flowers to create fabulous gifts for moms include:
- Stitch bunches of blooms to T-shirts, sweatshirts, jackets, or other garments. You can use crochet flower appliques to decorate just about anything, whether store-bought or handmade.
- Attach a single flower to a hair clip or headband.
- Crochet a bouquet of roses and display them in a vase. You can crochet roses or any other favorite flower that mom loves.
- Write your mom a beautiful letter inside of a blank card and attach the flower to the front.
This is an especially great idea for moms who are allergic to garden fresh flowers!
07 of 09
"Pamper Me!" Crochet Gifts for Mom
Who wouldn't appreciate a bit of extra pampering? Pretty soaps, body lotions, and scented shower gels all make lovely gifts for mom. If you're planning to give a gift like this to Mom, you can make it even more special by including any of the following items along with the gift:
- Crochet washcloths. Look for patterns for crochet washcloths / dishcloths that are soft, pretty, and pleasantly textured so that they can be used for exfoliating.
- A fluffy crocheted bath puff. Make your own crochet bath scrubby —or a whole set of them—as a personalized alternative to store-bought loofahs.
- A combination soap holder/scrubber. This is one of those creative little goodies that Mom might never think of buying for herself, so if you think she'd like one, it would be nice if you could make it for her. A bonus: It's a quick, easy crochet project. These soap holders are wonderful to have and use. They're also a great way to present gift soaps.
- Crochet bath mat. Make it cozy for mom to step out of the tub by giving her a plush handcrafted mat to step onto.
You can also make your own crochet basket and fill it with pampering supplies.
08 of 09
Bedspreads and afghans are ambitious crochet projects, but if anyone is worth the effort, it's Mom. There's a good chance that your mother or grandmother made some kind of crochet blanket for you at some point in your life, so this is a great opportunity to return the favor!
Any crochet blanket is a great choice, but be sure to take your mom's style and preferences into consideration. Work in colors she loves and textures she'll like, and determine whether she's a lapghan or king-sized comforter kind of woman. Crochet gifts for mom should be designed to last a long, long time.Continue to 9 of 9 below.
09 of 09
Did you get your love of crochet from your own mom? Let her know how much you appreciate it by getting her gifts to facilitate her own crafting. Yarn, crochet patterns, crochet books, a new set of crochet hooks or a subscription to a crochet magazine are all fun choices for the mom who crochets. Personalize it with a related handcrafted gift, such as a crochet bookmark for a crochet book or a crochet hook case for her new set of hooks.