There are so many different ways to make crochet squares. Of course, you can always rely on the classic crochet granny square as a go-to motif. However, when you want something special, you need to put a twist on that. This criss-cross crochet version of a granny square offers that perfect twist. It gives you a way to make the classic granny square even more open and lacy. If you use the right yarn, this can be a very delicate motif.
Skill Level: Easy
This free crochet square pattern is a very easy design. If you know how to work in the round using single crochet and double crochet stitches, then you should have no problem completing this easy square. If you already know how to crochet a classic granny square then this should be a breeze.
You just need yarn and a crochet hook to make this square.
As with any crochet square, you can use just any yarn or thread that you want to crochet this square. However, the thinner the thread, the more effective the lacy design will be. With a thicker yarn, you'll still get that criss-cross effect, but the lacy spaces won't be as dramatic. In contrast, if you use thread crochet or work with a very lightweight yarn then you'll get the best effect. Here are three yarn suggestions:
- Size 3 Crochet Thread: Of course, you could also use a thinner thread size but this one is really perfect.
- Knitpicks Simply Cotton Sport Yarn: This is a lightweight sport yarn that works really well for the pattern.
- Bernat Softee Baby Yarn: If you do want to work with a worsted weight yarn then try a baby yarn for the best effect.
Choose a crochet hook size that matches your yarn choice. The label on your thread or yarn should suggest the right size.
The only other item you might want for this project is a tapestry needle for weaving in ends.
The size of your finished square depends entirely on the yarn and crochet hook size that you select. If you work the pattern using size 3 crochet thread or sport weight yarn and a size C hook then you should get a crochet square that measures about 3". However, that may vary with tension. There is no specific gauge for this project because of the variety in materials you may select.
Ch 3 takes the place of the first dc st in round 2 below.
- Round 1: [Ch 9, sc in 6th ch from hook, work 3 more sc for a total of 4 sc.] Rep sequence in brackets 3 more times. Join with a sl st; this forms the criss-cross in the center.
- Add a ring of 8 decorative surface crochet sl sts around the inside center ring. If you are not familiar with how to do this, see this tutorial for more info.
- Next, you’re going to work up one of the “spokes” of the criss-cross. Work 3 sl sts into the sc sts formed at the beg of the round, and then work 1 more sl st into the ring at the tip of the spoke, which was formed by the ch sts at the beg of the round.
- Round 2: [Work 3 dc in ring, ch 2, 3 dc in ring, ch 3] 4 times. Join work to beg of round with a sl st. Work several sl sts to travel to the corner space.
- Round 3: ch 3, dc in corner space, ch 1 to form corner, [*2 dc in corner space, work 1 dc in each of the next 3 dc, 3 dc in next sp, work 1 dc in each of the next 3 dc, * 2 dc in corner space, ch 1 to form corner.] Rep sequence in brackets 2 more times, then work the sequence between *s once. Sl st to join the work to the 3rd ch from beg of round. Sl st in next dc, sl st in corner space.
- Round 4: Work 1 round of sc sts all the way around as follows: Work 2 sc in each corner sp, then ch 1 to form corner, then work 2 more sc in the same corner sp. Work 1 sc st in ea dc st. At the end of the round, work a sl st to join work to the beg of the round. Sl st in next sc, sl st in ch 1-space.
- Finish off. Weave in ends.
How to Use This Crochet Pattern
There are so many things that you can do with this criss cross crochet granny square pattern once you have learned how to make it. Use a set of them as coasters. String a bunch of them together to create a garland. Stitch a long row of them together to make a skinny scarf. Join a bunch of them together to make a crochet blanket. The possibilities are nearly endless. Have fun with it!