Sometimes you want to make a crochet consisting of a variety of you aren't sure what style of square to make. The first thing to figure out is what size crochet square you want to use, then you can mix-and-match the squares for those sizes to create the blanket you desire.
For example, you could create a 25" square crochet blanket by joining 25 5" granny squares. You could use the same 5" granny square pattern for each design. Alternatively, you could mix-and-match different 5" squares.
01 of 09
3" Crochet Afghan Square Free Patterns
- Criss Cross Granny Square. This unusual granny square features a wide open crossed design in the center. It works up quickly since it is such a small square and it adds a great design pop to any blanket.
- Simple Rows and Rounds Granny Square. This easy square, which measures slightly larger than 3", is unique in that it is worked primarily in rows but finishes off with two rounds.
- 3" Granny Square Free Crochet Pattern. A sweet and simple classic granny design from Stitch11.
- 3" Bi-Colored Solid Granny Square. This is an easy two-toned crochet pattern from EyeLoveKnots.
- 3D Flower Granny Square. This is a crochet square with a flower that pops out of the center. Worked as intended, this square is slightly larger than 3".
02 of 09
4" Crochet Afghan Square Free Patterns
- Jack and Lydia 4" Crochet Squares. Dedri Uys of Look At What I Made has created two complementary crochet square patterns, both floral in design and each measuring 4".
- 4 Petal Crochet Flower Square. This is another floral square design that can be worked in bold colors or a single neutral. The pattern is from Crochet Leaf.
- Sock Yarn Squares. These lightweight crochet squares are made with beautiful yarn in a pattern from Without Seams.
- Mount Vernon Afghan. This vintage crochet blanket pattern is made of 192 4" squares.
03 of 09
5" Crochet Afghan Square Free Patterns
- Granny Likes Diamonds. This is a simple crochet square that uses a two-tone color approach to create a diamond inside of a square. It's a free download on Ravelry from Heather C. Gibbs. She has a variety of other 5" designs as well; another great example is the mitered square called Granny's Cabin.
- Easy 5" Crochet Granny Square. This easy square can be made using 1, 2 or more colors to give it a personal touch.
- C2C Crochet Granny Square. This video tutorial shows you how to C2C crochet, which is one way to build a granny square in almost any size.
04 of 09
6" Crochet Afghan Square Free Patterns
Continue to 5 of 9 below.
- Stained Glass Crochet Square. Colorful designs inside of a black lace square give you the effect of stained glass.
- Granny Love 6" Square. This has a heart right in the center.
- Striped Heart Baby Afghan Square. Here is another version of a crochet heart granny square.
- Helena 6" Square. Begin with a little six-petal crochet flower and grow it into a 6" wide square.
- Mix and Match Afghan Squares. This is a set of afghan squares featuring various design patterns worked in tapestry crochet.
- Wiggles Square. It is so much fun to work the textured niche of Wiggly Crochet. This square pattern is from DLY's Hooks and Yarns.
05 of 09
7" Crochet Afghan Square Free Patterns
- Morning Glory Square. People seeking a floral pattern in this size will find that the design by Teresa Kohlhoff of Heartmade Blessings is a lovely choice.
- MaryEllen's Easy Granny Daisy Square. This is another great flower crochet square, available in both 6" and 7" sizes.
- Sunburst Granny Square. This is another one that comes in both 6" and 7" variations.
- 6-7-8 Square. This crochet pattern is available in 3 sizes. The 7" crochet square is the middle size.
- Friendship Jewel. This is a vintage 7" granny square pattern.
06 of 09
8" Crochet Afghan Square Free Patterns
- Easy Baby Afghan Square. This simple square is worked in single crochet. Therefore, it's a great project for new crocheters.
- Diamonds in the Round. This crochet pattern by Beverly Button has terrific texture thanks to bobbles in the center.
- Teddy Bear Square. This is a cute crochet square for children's blankets! It comes from Christal's Crochet.
- Creeping Trebles Square. This crochet square is dense and would be great for a warm blanket. It comes with instructions for both 8" and 12" squares.
07 of 09
9" Crochet Afghan Square Free Patterns
- 10 Petal Afghan Square. Designer Joyce D. Lewis describes this as "ten petals, simple transitions and just challenging enough to be interesting".
- Topaz 9" Square. This beautiful square is worked in the color "topaz" but, of course, it would look great in any color. It looks especially great when each round is worked in a different color. It is by Susan Hinton and is available through Ravelry.
- Flower Burst 9" Square. This is a subtle floral design worked in shades of blue. It is designed by Jessica Phillips on Ravelry.
- African Sun Square. This crochet pattern has a bright bold sun at its center. It is by Edith E. Smith on Ravelry.
08 of 09
10" Crochet Afghan Square Free Patterns
Continue to 9 of 9 below.
- Square in a Square. This is a square (or diamond) inside of a larger square, worked in multiple colors for a great graphic design. This pattern is available in 10" and 12" sizes.
- Woolly's Snowflake Square. This free crochet pattern by AuntieElle has a snowflake at the center for a great winter design. This square is available in 4 sizes: 6", 8", 10" and 12".
- Circle Your Granny. This crochet pattern from Heather C. Gibbs begins with a granny circle and then gets squared off near the end. She really is one of the best designers for all sizes of crochet squares.
- Shining Star Square. As you might guess, this granny square pattern has a star at the center of the design.
09 of 09
12" Crochet Afghan Square Free Patterns
- 4 Crosses Granny Square. This large blanket square pattern has crosses built into the designed, created by spaces in the stitches. It uses basic crochet stitches and is worked in the round.
- Butterfly Garden Square. This one has butterflies or dragonflies created out of spaces in the square.
- Basket of Berries. This is a detailed, colorful crochet square pattern by Melinda Miller, available as a download from Ravelry. She has many other 12" crochet square designs to choose from as well; another terrific option is her stained glass square.
- Veronica's Rose. There is a beautiful rose at the center of this large and colorful crochet square pattern, offered on Ravelry by Melissa Green.
- Latent Heart 12" Square. This free crochet pattern looks great in one color or in many.
- Mitered Crochet Square. You can use scrap yarn to make a colorful mitered square. This pattern is 6" or 12".