Sometimes you want to make a crochet afghan consisting of a variety of squares but you aren't sure what style of square to make. The first thing to figure out is what size crochet square you want to use, then you can mix-and-match the squares for those sizes to create the blanket you desire. This roundup of crochet afghan square patterns is organized by size, from 3" - 12" squares, so that you can easily and conveniently see the squares that are best for your project. Keep in mind... that the sizes listed are somewhat flexible; in most cases you can add outside rounds to make the squares slightly larger, or adjust your hook size / yarn size to get different results.
01 of 09
3" Crochet Afghan Square Free Patterns
- Criss Cross Granny Square. This unusual granny square features a wide open crossed design in the center. It works up quickly since it is such a small square and it adds a great design pop to any blanket.
- Simple Rows and Rounds Granny Square. This easy square, which measures slightly larger than 3", is unique in that it is worked primarily in rows but finishes off with two rounds.
- 3" Granny Square Free Crochet Pattern. A sweet and simple classic granny design from Stitch11.
- 3" Bi-Colored Solid Granny Square. This is an easy two-toned crochet pattern from EyeLoveKnots.
- 3D Flower Granny Square. This is a crochet square with a flower that pops out of the center. Worked as intended, this square is slightly larger than 3".
02 of 09
4" Crochet Afghan Square Free Patterns
- Jack and Lydia 4" Crochet Squares. Dedri Uys of Look At What I Made has created two complementary crochet square patterns, both floral in design and each measuring 4".
- 4 Petal Crochet Flower Square. This is another floral square design that can be worked in bold colors or a single neutral. The pattern is from Crochet Leaf.
- Sock Yarn Squares. These lightweight crochet squares are made with beautiful yarn in a pattern from Without Seams.
- Mount Vernon Afghan. This vintage crochet blanket pattern is made of 192 4" squares.
03 of 09
5" Crochet Afghan Square Free Patterns
- Summer Bedspread Granny Square. This granny square is lighter and more delicate than most others, making it a great choice for a summer bedspread. Of course, there are plenty of other ways you could use it, as well.
- Granny Likes Diamonds. This is a simple crochet square that uses a two-tone color approach to create a diamond inside of a square. It's a free download on Ravelry from Heather C. Gibbs. She has a variety of other 5" designs as well; another great example is the mitered square called Granny's Cabin.
04 of 09
6" Crochet Afghan Square Free Patterns
Continue to 5 of 9 below.
- Striped Checkerboard Baby Afghan Square. The checkerboard pattern is a great design that can be worked in a range of different colors to create many, many fun blankets.
- Striped Heart Baby Afghan Square. This heart square coordinates with the striped checkerboard square linked above, but you could also use it on its own if you'd prefer.
- Double Rainbow Square. This colorful crocheted square features a rainbow of colors. You can use it as an afghan square, a dishcloth, or washcloth.
- Mix and Match Afghan Squares. This is a set of afghan squares featuring various design patterns worked in tapestry crochet. The series features diagonal stripes, nested squares, mini checkerboards and more.
- Wiggles Square. It is so much fun to work the textured niche of Wiggly Crochet. This square pattern is from DLY's Hooks and Yarns.
05 of 09
7" Crochet Afghan Square Free Patterns
- Rainbow Outlines Granny Square. This pretty granny square is a great scrap yarn pattern. It finishes at approximately 7.5" if you use medium weight yarn and a size H crochet hook.
- Diagonal Stripes Blanekt Square. This lovely crochet blanket square can create a stunning design of diagonals. The finished square is between 6" and 7".
- Morning Glory Square. People seeking a floral pattern in this size will find that the design by Teresa Kohlhoff of Heartmade Blessings is a lovely choice.
- MaryEllen's Easy Granny Daisy Square. This is another great flower crochet square, available in both 6" and 7" sizes.
06 of 09
8" Crochet Afghan Square Free Patterns
- Easy Baby Afghan Square. This simple square is worked in single crochet. It's a great project for new crocheters.
- Aster Flower Granny Square. This beautiful square has a bold flower at the center, perfect for a springtime crochet blanket.
- Diamonds in the Round. This crochet pattern by Beverly Button has terrific texture thanks to bobbles in the center.
- Teddy Bear Square. This is a cute crochet square for children's blankets! It comes from Christal's Crochet.
- Creeping Trebles Square. This crochet square is dense and would be great for a warm blanket. It comes with instructions for both 8" and 12" squares.
07 of 09
9" Crochet Afghan Square Free Patterns
- Topaz 9" Square. This beautiful square is worked in the color "topaz" but of course it would look great in any color, and it looks especially great when each round is worked in a different color. It is by Susan Hinton and is available through Ravelry.
- Flower Burst 9" Square. This is a subtle floral design worked in shades of blue. It is designed by Jessica Phillips on Ravelry.
- 10 Petal Afghan Square. Designer Joyce D. Lewis describes this as "ten petals, simple transitions and just challenging enough to be interesting".
- African Sun Square. This crochet pattern has a bright bold sun at its center. It is by Edith E. Smith on Ravelry.
Pictured: Topaz 9" Square crochet pattern by Susan Hinton via Ravelry.
08 of 09
10" Crochet Afghan Square Free Patterns
- Square in a Square. This is a square (or diamond) inside of a larger square, worked in multiple colors for a great graphic design. This pattern is available in 10" and 12" sizes.
- Woolly's Snowflake Square. This free crochet pattern by AuntieElle has a snowflake at the center for a great winter design. This square is available in 4 sizes: 6", 8", 10" and 12".
- Circle Your Granny. This crochet pattern from Heather C. Gibbs begins with a granny circle and then gets squared off near the end.
Pictured: Square in a Square crochet pattern designed by Funny DieBarbarian on Ravelry.Continue to 9 of 9 below.
09 of 09
12" Crochet Afghan Square Free Patterns
- 4 Crosses Granny Square. This large blanket square pattern has crosses built into the designed, created by spaces in the stitches. It uses basic crochet stitches and is worked in the round.
- Basket of Berries. This is a detailed, colorful crochet square pattern by Melinda Miller, available as a download from Ravelry. She has many other 12" crochet square designs to choose from as well; another terrific option is her stained glass square.
- Veronica's Rose. There is a beautiful rose at the center of this large and colorful crochet square pattern, offered on Ravelry by Melissa Green.