01 of 03
The materials you'll need are:
- Fabric - Cotton or Cotton Polyester blend
- Poster Board - optional
Napkins can be made in any size square you are comfortable with. The standard sizes are 12, 14, and 16-inch squares. The easiest way to make sure they will all be square is to make a poster board template. Use a carpenters square or measure each side and from corner to corner to make sure your template is square.
A set of four is a nice gift. To make it spectacular, make a double set.... They can be any color or coordinate. Let's face it not many of us use them, except for when we have company, so make enough for the occasion.
If you have a serger, the job is almost done. Use your rolled hem feature to finish all the edges.
Not having a serger won't stop you. Pressing is going to save you a lot of time.
A true mitered corner will give your napkins a professional touch. Press under all edges 1/4". Press that edge under again.
Using your pressing lines as a guide, trim off the outside corner.Continue to 2 of 3 below.
02 of 03
Mitered Corner Step 2
Press the new "corner" down to the inside press line. Re-press the first press of the edges.Continue to 3 of 3 below.
03 of 03
Finished Mitered Corner
Press edges under again making corner meet diagonally in center of the corner.
Top stitch the hem into place, swiveling the material as you reach the corners.
Tips for Cloth Napkins
- Having the right tools can make making napkins a snap!
- Don't be afraid to be creative. Use a decorative stitch to top stitch the hem.
- When making napkins as a gift, make sets of four in complementary colors. For Christmas make 4 green and 4 red napkins.
- You can use the same methods you have used for the napkins to make... a tablecloth.