Here's a fun way to teach children about the country of Canada. These free word search puzzles using various themes related to Canada are great practice for spelling Canadian place names as well as being a good tool to reinforce concepts about the history, climate, and geography of the country. Play them online or print and solve on paper.
Some of these free puzzles are in Adobe PDF format. Make sure that you have the latest version of this software installed.
Printable Word Searches
Parents and educators looking for printable worksheets on Canada can make use of these easy to challenging games, listed in order of difficulty.
- Canada word search: Three word-search games for beginners can be found here. A good choice for early readers, the easy version of the puzzle uses pictures as well as words to denote the five themed entries. Older children will prefer the regular word search game with 17 Canada-related words in a medium-sized grid. There's also a challenging word search puzzle in which the name of the 10 provinces and territories that make up the country are hidden in a large grid of jumbled letters. All of these games are available in either black and white or color.
- Canada word searches: Here, you'll find two word-search games devoted to Canada. The easier one has a list of 10 words consisting of animals, symbols, or games associated with the country. The more challenging 14-word game features the names of the provincial, territorial, and federal capital cities in a large grid of letters.
- Canada day word search: The 18 words featured in this game all have to do with Canada's confederation. This solution is provided.
- Canada word search geography puzzle: This challenging word search worksheet has a whopping 35 words about Canada that need finding in a large grid of letters. The solution is provided.
- Word search Canada map: The most difficult word search listed here, this puzzle boasts of 40 Canada-related words in a grid that is shaped like the country.
Online Word Search Games
If you prefer playing word seek games online, here is an easy puzzle to play on your computer.
- Canadian culture: A 17-word puzzle lists different words associated with the country.
Printable Crossword Puzzles
Are you looking for a fun educational activity to help reinforce students' knowledge of Canada and the people who inhabit it? These crosswords are a great way for puzzlers of all ages to learn new words as well as important facts about Canada.
The crossword puzzle worksheets featured here examine various aspects of the country and its history. All use the freeform format commonly used in most educational crossword games. The puzzles are listed in order of difficulty, from the easiest to the most challenging.
- Canada crossword: There are 13 words related to Canada's geography, symbols, and the government found in this easy crossword puzzle worksheet.
- Canada crossword puzzle worksheet: This 15-word crossword game is fairly challenging and requires a good knowledge of the country, its provinces and cities, political structures, and indigenous people.
- Canadian prime ministers: This crossword contains 20 trivia questions regarding the men and women who have served in Canada's highest office.
Online Crossword Puzzles
These interactive crossword puzzles can be played on your computer. They are best for older crossword puzzle solvers.
- Canadiana crossword puzzle: This is an interactive criss-cross puzzle with 30 entries about Canadian history, geography, politics, and celebrities.
- All about Canada crossword puzzle: This crossword looks at the towns, cities, lakes, rivers, people, and historical sites of Canada.
- Canada: a people's history crosswords: If you prefer crossword puzzles that follow the standard, American-style format, then try these games by crossword constructor Kelly Anne Buchanan. The crossword puzzles featured here are based on episodes of the CBC series "Canada: A People's History." Though these puzzles don't necessarily adhere to the standards used by most print publications (i.e., two-letter entries, etc.), nevertheless they are a fun challenge and a great way to increase your knowledge of Canada's history. There are 17 puzzles, each one about a particular episode, are available for your puzzling pleasure. Play them online or print and solve. These games are better suited to older children and adults.
Printable Jigsaw Puzzles
These free jigsaw puzzle games all feature themes such as flags and other symbols of the country, its spectacular scenery and the animals which inhabit it.
For a fun activity this Canada Day, try printing out this free jigsaw puzzle.
- Oh, Canada! jigsaw puzzle craft: Print the map of Canada, color, and cut out the puzzle pieces and assemble for a fun and educational activity.
Jigsaw Puzzles to Play Online
These puzzles use the Jigzone interface and are a good choice for beginners. Older solvers, however, can change the piece cut and the number of pieces for a more challenging game.
- Canada's map, flag, and beaver: national symbols jigsaw puzzle: This very easy six-piece jigsaw game is good for very young solvers.
- Child mountie jigsaw puzzle: This is another six-piece game for kids at the primary school level.
Scenes of Canada Jigsaw Puzzles
These are 48-piece classic cut puzzles from JigZone.
- BC Inlet: This puzzle can be played online. All you have to do is click and drag each piece (there's 48) until you've completed the picture.
- Lake Minnewanka: Much like the BC Inlet puzzle, this is easy to play. Just click and drag the 48 pieces until you've completed the picture.
- Canada geese jigsaw puzzle: Native to the arctic and temperate regions of North America, these birds can often be seen flying by during their annual migration. The number of pieces in this interactive puzzle can range from nine to 180.
- Canada map jigsaw puzzle: This online drag-and-drop jigsaw puzzle game helps youngsters learn about the geography of Canada and the names of its provinces.
Printable Maze Puzzles
Youngsters at the preschool and primary school levels can play these puzzling activities that don't require good spelling or learning new vocabulary words. These printable mazes and connect-the-dot puzzles are a great way for kids to develop their observation and counting skills. These puzzle games all make use of themes about the country of Canada or its Canada Day celebration.
Maze puzzles are fun to solve for puzzling minds of all ages. Success in navigating a maze requires good concentration as well as the use of strategic planning skills. Below, we have several easy to challenging maze games with Canadian themes to print and solve.
- Canada goose maze: In this easy maze puzzle, the object is to help the Canada goose find his pond.
- Canada day maze puzzles: Here, you'll find two Canada Day maze puzzles of medium difficulty: help the boy find the Canada Day fireworks and help the Canada Day patriot find all the flags.
- Canada maze worksheet: Help the man find his way to Canada in this challenging maze game.
Printable Connect-the-Dot Puzzles
Young children can gain practice in identifying numbers and putting them in sequence with these easy to challenging dot-to-dot activities.
- Canada connect-the-dots: Three themed dot-to-dot games for your puzzling pleasure: Maple Leaf (to 25), Canada Flag (to 8), and Map of Canada (to 36).
- Dot-to-dot mystery map: Connect the dots in the puzzle. When finished, use an atlas or globe to figure out the mystery country.
For older puzzlers with a good base in reading and writing, try these themed word scrambles and cryptogram puzzles related to Canada. Or, try these quizzes and test your knowledge of Canada and its history, geography, and the people who have made their mark in the country.
In these puzzles, a simple substitution cipher is used to break the code. These puzzles are print only.
- Bella Coola heritage website cryptogram: These have two cryptogram puzzles with themes related to a famous explorer of Canada. One puzzle is fairly short, the other is quite long.
- Canada cryptogram: This puzzle is part word scramble and part cryptogram. First, unscramble the words. Then take the numbered letters and place them in the box with the corresponding number to complete the answer to the riddle. Print.
Are you a crackerjack Canada connoisseur? Try these free online quiz games and find out how many fun facts you know about Canada.
- Canadian geography quizzes: This has several fun quizzes about Canada's land and waterways, its people, history, and much more. These games are available at various difficulty levels from beginner to expert.
- The Canada quiz: Test your knowledge of the geographic location of the provinces of Canada with this interactive quiz.
- Canadian capitals: In this quiz game, the object is to match each capital city with the corresponding Canadian province.
- Canada vocabulary quiz: Match the Canada vocabulary words with the definitions. The words used designate place names or terms used to describe certain characteristics of the country and its people.
- Canada quiz: This has an interactive trivia quiz for intermediate puzzlers.
Canadian Rags to Riches
These quizzes operate on the same principle as the popular game show "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" Take each quiz and see if you can answer all the questions about Canadian geography.