Kids adore butterflies. They are colorful and whimsical creatures that capture children's imaginations. This makes any butterfly craft popular with kids and a perfect activity for the spring and summer months. Butterflies can be created using many different materials which makes this a versatile craft for all age group.
Save those cardboard toilet paper rolls you usually throw away to make these cute little butterflies. (In a pinch, you can use a cardboard paper towel roll, too.) Making this little creature is super easy, and it only takes a few steps to recycle an old toilet paper roll into an adorable butterfly buddy.
Equipment / Tools
- Glue gun
- Paint brush
- 1 cardboard toilet paper roll
- 1 pipe cleaner
- Craft paint
- String or fishing line (optional)
- Embellishments, such as glitter, ribbon, or stick-on gems (optional)
Cut the Cardboard Roll
Begin by cutting the cardboard toilet paper roll into four pieces.
Make Your Butterfly Unique
If the four pieces aren't perfectly even, that's okay; the uneven pieces will add to the uniqueness of each butterfly. Leave them as is or trim them down.
Paint the Cardboard
Paint both the inside and outside of each piece of cardboard in any colors and designs you'd like.
Let the pieces completely dry.
Make the Body
Once the paint has dried, put your toilet paper roll butterfly craft together!
- Fold your pipe cleaner in half, twisting the bottom part together and curving out the ends at the top. This creates the body of your butterfly.
- Now flatten your painted toilet paper rolls and pinch the edges so that they form an oval shape.
- Next arrange the toilet rolls and pipe cleaner into a butterfly shape by placing two of the toilet paper roll pieces on each side of the pipe cleaner. These will be the butterfly wings.
- Use a hot glue gun to glue the toilet rolls onto the pipe cleaner.
Make Your Butterfly Fly
If you'd like, embellish your butterfly's wings with glitter, ribbon, or stick-on gems. Then, use some string or fishing line to hang your butterfly from the ceiling of your home or classroom, display it on an art wall, or put it next to a house plant to simulate nature. Make more for a whole butterfly garden! These little beauties are sure to add some whimsical spring fun to any room.
Embellish With Care
Only use a few embellishments. The wings should not be so heavy that they fall off the pipe cleaner.