When a child falls down, hearing the sobs can be the most heart-wrenching sound to a parent or caregiver. If you are a parent or have spent any amount of time with a child, then you know how crucial Band-Aids are for bumps, bruises, and pacifying cries. Sometimes a bandage isn't needed but you put one on just to provide an emotional fix. But what can you do when a quick Band-Aid isn't enough?
These Boo Boo Bunnies are here to provide first aid support, as well as emotional support. Not only do they look cute, but they have a practical purpose. Fill their tummies with ice to make an ice-pack that is sure to bring on the smiles in no time. This craft is basic enough that an older sibling could easily make it for a younger sibling. If you choose not to use them for first-aid, these bunnies also look great around your home during the spring season. They could make great Easter decorations, baby shower gifts, or become a new stuffed animal friend.
No matter how you make use of your Boo Boo Bunny, let it provide comfort to your kids, and turn their frowns upside down. All it takes to make one is a few basic supplies you probably already have in your home.
Equipment / Tools
- Hot-glue gun
- Brown or black permanent marker (optional)
- 1 square washcloth or dishcloth
- 1 rubber band
- 1 pair of googly eyes
- 1 cotton ball
Fold Cloth Into a Triangle
- Begin by laying out your square washcloth or dishcloth on a flat surface. Have it in front of you so that it's in the shape of a diamond.
- Fold the bottom corner point to the top corner to create a triangle.
Roll Cloth From Bottom
With the top of the triangle away from you, roll the folded cloth from the bottom. Make sure you are rolling the cloth as tight as possible.
Fold Roll in Half
Fold the roll in half. The two loose ends, facing away from you, will become the bunny ears.
Fold to Form Bunny Body and Head
- To form the bunny body and head, fold the roll in half again. The loose ends (bunny ears) should be by the first fold you made in the last step.
- Fold the loose ends back towards the middle and hold them together with your hand while you get your rubber band ready.
Secure With Rubber Band
- Use one hand to hold the folds together and use your other hand to secure the folds with a rubber band. You want your rubber band to be placed about 2 inches in from the fold.
- To cover the rubber band: cut a length of ribbon and tie it on over the band. You can secure the ribbon with hot glue or leave it unsecured so that you can change it.
Glue on Eyes and Tail
- Use a hot-glue gun to attach two googly eyes and a cotton ball tail.
- Draw on a mouth with a permanent marker if you want.
How to Use Your Boo Boo Bunny
To get the most out of your boo boo bunny, add an ice cube to the middle section of your bunny.
We suggest using plastic reusable ice cubes to prevent drips.