Solving word search puzzles can help kids improve their pattern recognition skills as well as their powers of perception. The free word search puzzles featured here all have various themes related to sports and activities that are enjoyed throughout the fall season.
Autumn Word Search Printables
For solving in the classroom or on the go, we have a number of autumn word search puzzles available for printing.
The puzzles are listed in order of difficulty, from the easiest to the most challenging.
Some of these free word search puzzles are in Adobe PDF format. If you need to download and install the free Adobe Acrobat reader, click here.
- Autumn Word Search - Two autumn word search games are featured here. The easiest uses only six autumn-related words in a very small grid of letters, which makes it a great choice for beginners. The more challenging puzzle, in which 28 words are used, is better suited to children of middle school age. The puzzle is available in both B&W and color.
- Fall Word Search - This puzzle features eleven words related to the fall season in a medium-sized grid.
- Autumn Word Search - Fourteen autumn-themed words need finding in this easy word search worksheet.
- Autumn Word Search - An easy word puzzle featuring 14 fall-related words in a small grid of letters.
- Autumn Word Search - How many of the 16 autumn-themed words can you find in this free word search printable? Solution provided.
- Fall Fest Word Search - General autumn vocabulary is featured in this 18-word puzzle.
- Apple Word Search - In this word search puzzle, the word list consists of 20 terms used to describe various characteristics of the apple, the life cycle of the fruit and ways in which they can be enjoyed. The grid is in the shape of — what else — an apple. Color | B&W
- Popular Apple Varieties Word Search - As implied, this game lists the names of 20 apple varieties hidden in an apple-shaped grid. Color | B&W
- Autumn Word Find - See how seasonal-savvy you are by locating the 23 autumn-related words. The puzzle is available in three color schemes: color, grayscale, and B&W. Solution provided.
- Squigly's Tree Word Search - The names of 24 types of trees appear in this word search printable.
- Forbidden Fruit Word Search - Try to locate the names of the 26 types of apple hidden in the puzzle.
- Autumn Word Search - See if you can find the 27 hidden words associated with the fall season in this large-print word search game.
Autumn Word Search Games Online
For word search aficionados who prefer solving these puzzles on the computer, we have several online word search games.
- Autumn Word Search - The easiest online game here, this puzzle features 12 fall-related words in a small grid of letters.
- Fall Festivities Word Search - Here, you'll find a 17-word game using terms related to the coming of fall.
- Apple Word Search - Twenty entries related to the cultivation of apples are hidden in a grid in the shape of an apple.
- Apple Varieties Word Search - Find the names of 20 types of apples in the fruit-shaped grid.
- Autumn Word Search - In this online game, 25 autumn-themed entries need to be found.
- Apple Types Word Search - The names of 26 apple varieties are hidden in a medium-sized grid in this large-print word search.
Autumn Crossword Puzzles to Print
Children can practice their autumn vocabulary with these free crossword games using words related to the fall season. Parents and educators can use these free crossword worksheets to help teach children vocabulary words associated with the coming of fall. The puzzles are listed in order of difficulty, starting with the easiest and working up to the most challenging.
Some of these crossword puzzles are in Adobe PDF format. If you need to download and install the free Adobe Acrobat reader, click here.
- Autumn Crossword Puzzle - DLTK for Kids offers an easy crossword puzzle with an autumn theme for young solvers. The picture version of the crossword, featuring eight themed entries, is intended for preschoolers and children who are new to spelling. It comes with either picture clues alone or picture clues with the associated word list. Older children can try their hand at the regular crossword, an eleven-word game with written clues. Both crossword puzzles are available in both B&W or color. Solution provided.
- Fall Crossword Puzzle - The 18 words featured in this crossword game of medium difficulty all have to do with the autumn season.
- Autumn Crossword Puzzle - This criss-cross puzzle features 38 clued entries, of which most relate to autumn. Solution provided.
Autumn Fill-in-the-Blank Crossword Puzzles
In these word puzzles, the list of words to insert in the grid is provided. The challenge is to determine where they should be placed in the grid.
- Fall Crossword - This easy crossword game features six fall-related words to place in the grid. Solution provided.
- Fall Crossword - Slightly more difficult, this puzzle has 10 four to nine-letter entries. Solution provided.
- Fall Crossword - Fifteen autumn-themed entries appear in the most challenging version of the puzzle. Solution provided.
- Autumn Fill-In Crossword - The most challenging fill-in-the-blank game here, this puzzle has a whopping 38 themed entries.
Autumn Jigsaw Puzzles to Print
The spectacular fall foliage is one of the highlights of the autumn season. These free jigsaw puzzles feature the colors of autumn, seasonal holidays and other themes associated with the fall season.
- Printable Fall Jigsaw Puzzle: Featured here are five easy fall-themed jigsaw puzzle templates to print and piece together. The themes covered here are pumpkins, rain, scarecrow, squirrel and acorn, and sunflower. The puzzles can be printed in color or you can print the B&W version for a jigsaw games that also doubles as a coloring page.
Autumn Jigsaw Puzzles to Play Online
Looking for autumn jigsaw puzzles to piece together on the computer? Here are some free Fall Foliage Jigsaw Puzzles to get you in the mood for the fall season. These easy jigsaw puzzle games, depicting colorful scenes of the spectacular fall foliage, feature pieces which appear to have three-dimensions for a more interesting jigsaw puzzle game.
- Fall Festivities Jigsaw Puzzles - Over a dozen easy jigsaw puzzle games featuring scarecrows, pumpkins and other themes related to the autumn season.
Below, you'll find more easy jigsaw puzzles for beginners. These puzzles will open in a new window. If you need more space to work them, click "Turn off this frame" for a full-screen view. For a tutorial on how to play the game, go here
For intermediate solvers, check out these spectacular autumn scenes.
Teens and 'tweens will enjoy these more challenging jigsaw games.
Autumn Maze Puzzles to Print
Here, we offer a number of free puzzle activities with themes pertaining to autumn: maze puzzles to print and solve, spot the difference puzzles and hidden picture games to test your observation skills to play online or print as well as dot-to-dot games for young children.
Children can hone their strategic planning skills with these fun maze puzzle activities.
- Help the Squirrel Find its Way Home - Easy
- Help the Goose Fly South for Winter - Easy
- Apple Maze - Easy
- Apple Maze #2 - Easy
- Activity Village offers a cute maze puzzle of medium difficulty; Help the Scarecrow Find the Pumpkin Patch.
- Help the Squirrel Collect Acorns - Medium
- Help the Monarch Butterfly Fly South - Medium
- Fall Pumpkin Maze - Medium
- Apple Maze - Medium
Autumn Counting Mazes
Counting mazes are a variation of the maze puzzle where you start with the lowest number and work your way up to the highest. Kids can navigate these labyrinths while practicing their counting skills.
- Help the wind blow the leaves off a tree. (Count by 1s to 100)
- Help mom rake all the autumn leaves. (Count by 2s to 200)
- The couple is looking for a park to walk in. (Count by 3s to 300)
- Help Grandpa find more leaves to rake. (Count by 4s to 400)
- The photographer is looking for autumn scenery. (Count by 5s to 500)
Autumn Hidden Picture Puzzles
Solving these free hidden picture games is a great way to test your observation skills. Can you find all the objects hidden in the picture?
- Raking Leaves - Print
- In the Classroom - Print
- Playing in the Leaves - Play Online
- Fun in the Leaves - Play Online
- Fall Fun - Play Online
Dot-to-dot puzzles are a fun way for kids to learn and remember their numbers. For basic counting practice, try these printable dot-to-dot puzzles featuring themes associated with autumn.
- Autumn Leaves Dot-to-Dot
- Fall Tree Dot-to-Dot - Medium
- Acorn Dot-to-Dot (letters A - M)
- Apple Dot-to-Dot (letters A - X)
- Squirrel Connect the Dots - Very Easy
Autumn Spot the Difference Games
In these online games, the objective is to find all the differences between the two pictures before the clock runs out. It's not as easy as you think!
Autumn Cryptogram Puzzles
Give your brain a workout with these free encryption puzzles, word scrambles, word and memory games with an autumn theme.
These puzzles use a simple substitution cipher to encrypt a message. To find out more about these puzzles as well as tips and tricks on how to solve them, see How to Solve a Cryptogram.
- Squigly's Secret Code - Decipher the code by substituting letters for the symbols to arrive at a secret message having to do with autumn. This puzzle is fairly easy as the key to the cipher appears at the bottom of the page. Solution provided.
- Squigly's Code Breaker - In this more challenging game, you need to figure out the code on your own. The solution to the puzzle will indicate why leaves change color in the fall. Solution provided.
Autumn Memory Games
The brain, like any other muscle, needs exercise for optimum performance. Below, you'll find memory games to help keep your mind in tip-top shape.
- Fall Memory Match - Match the eight symbols of autumn in this easy online memory game.
- Autumn Concentration Game
This more challenging version of Concentration uses twelve image pairs.
- Printable Autumn Concentration - Print out the memory cards for an offline version of the game to play with friends or family.
More Fall Fun
Below, we have still more puzzling activities celebrating the fall season.
- Squigly's Special Message - Solve the clues and write the answers in the boxes. The first letter of each answer will reveal the secret message.
- Autumn Word Scramble - Rearrange the letters in each of the 14 groups to arrive at words having to do with the autumn season. Print only.
- Autumn Word Sudoku (Easy) - This puzzle for beginners features a 4x4 grid. Print
- Autumn Word Sudoku (Medium) - For solvers looking for a more challenging game, try this puzzle with a 6x6 grid.