Kids can improve their spelling as well as learn new words with these easy to challenging word search puzzles which explore various themes related to the Fourth of July and its importance in U.S. history. From the signing of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776, to the modern Independence Day celebration, these games cover it all!
Some of these word search games are in Adobe PDF format. If you need to download and install the free Adobe Acrobat reader.
Fourth of July Word Search Puzzles to Print
For offline solving, we have a selection of word search worksheets celebrating the nation's birthday, listed in order of difficulty from the easiest to the most challenging.
- Independence Day Word Search: Nine short words in a small grid make this puzzle a good choice for students at the primary school level.
- 4 of July Day Kid Word Search: 12 short 4th of July words can be found in this small jumble of letters. Solution provided.
- Independence Day Word Search: This word search game features a list of 12 words associated mostly with the history of the July 4th celebration.
- Picnic Word Search: This word game features 12 words related to this popular 4th of July activity hidden in a small grid of letters.
- Picnic Word Search: Here you'll find the same 12 words hidden in a larger grid for a more challenging puzzle.
- Independence Day Word Search: 16 themed entries are hidden in a medium-sized grid. When you've found them all, the remaining letters will spell out the name of the man who penned the Declaration of Independence.
- Fourth of July Word Search: This easy printable features words related to the celebratory aspects of the U.S. holiday in three levels: easy, medium, and difficult.
- 4 of July Day Middies Word Search: This word search printout of medium difficulty features 18 Independence Day words. Solution provided.
- Independence Day Word Search: 19 Independence Day words are featured in this word search printout. Solution provided.
- Independence Day Word Search: This word puzzle of medium difficulty features 20 words associated with the Declaration of Independence and the American Revolution.
- Fourth of July Word Search: 26 themed entries need finding in this word search game of medium difficulty featuring extra-large print for easier reading.
- Independence Day Word Search: 31 words examining the history of the American Revolution as well as things you may see at the annual 4th of July celebration appear in this word game of medium difficulty.
- 4th of July Deluxe Word Search: You can practice a lot of Independence Day vocabulary by solving this word puzzle with a whopping 34 words. Solution provided.
- States of America Word Search: See if you can find all 50 U.S. states in this challenging word search game.
4th of July Word Search Games to Play Online
For those who'd rather play word search games on the computer, we have several word search puzzles of varying difficulty which serve that purpose.
- 4th of July Celebration Word Search: In this easy word game, 10 related words are hidden in a small jumble of letters. Play it online and try to beat the clock, or print it out for an easy 4th of July worksheet.
- Thirteen Colonies: The names of 10 of the original American colonies appear in this online word search game. If you prefer, the puzzle can also be printed out for solving on paper.
- Signers of the Declaration of Independence: The last names of ten of the signatories of the Declaration of Independence are chosen at random and hidden in a small grid in this game.
- Independence Day Seek a Word: A 20-word puzzle using words related to celebrating the 4th of July.
- Independence Day Word Search Game: This word game has a list of 20 Independence Day words.
Fourth of July Crossword Puzzles to Print
Solving crossword puzzles is a good way to spike a child's interest in reading and writing as they help children learn new vocabulary words and how to spell them. These themed crossword puzzles will help children enhance their use of words related to Independence Day as it is celebrated in the United States.
These themed crossword puzzles use the freeform format and are listed in order of difficulty, from the easiest to the most challenging. Unless indicated otherwise, they are print only.
- Fourth of July Crossword Puzzle: Here you'll find two 4th of July crosswords for young solvers. The picture version of the easier crossword, featuring 5 pictures of things that are likely to be observed at a 4th of July celebration, is intended for preschoolers and children who are new to spelling. Older children can use the word clues, also provided. In the more challenging puzzle, 12 themed entries with word clues are used. Both puzzles are available in black and white or color. Solution provided.
- Revolutionary People: The clues in this eight-word crossword puzzle denote people who are remembered for the role they played in the American Revolution.
- Stars and Stripes Puzzle: An easy crossword game featuring nine themed entries. Solution provided.
- Fourth of July Crossword: This freeform puzzle features ten themed entries and easy clues. Solution provided.
- 4th of July Crossword Puzzle: This crossword game of medium difficulty features 12 entries related to Independence Day.
- 4th of July Kids Crossword: This easy crossword game features 14 words and easy clues. Solution provided.
Independence Day Jigsaw Puzzles to Print and Play Online
If you're on the go, try taking this printer-friendly 4th of July jigsaw puzzle with you:
- USA Printable Jigsaw Puzzles: Two six-piece games, two with thirteen pieces. The images featured in these free patriotic jigsaw puzzles include a bald eagle, balloons, Uncle Sam, and fireworks. The puzzles can be printed out in B&W or color.
Here are some of our favorite online jigsaw games for children. These puzzles will open in a new browser window or tab. When the new window has opened and you want more space for solving, look just above the puzzle window and click "Turn off this Top Frame" for a larger work area. When done, close the window to return to this page. Happy puzzling!
You'll love the three-dimensional puzzle pieces of these puzzles to the two-dimensional games found at most other free jigsaw puzzle sites. But if you're looking for more, here are several two-dimensional jigsaw puzzles to play on your computer, too:
- Independence Day Fun and Games: Eight easy jigsaw puzzles and four drag and drop puzzles featuring eagles, flags, parades, fireworks and more.
- U.S. Capitol Jigsaw Puzzle (20 pcs)
- White House Jigsaw Puzzle (20 pcs)
- U.S. Flag Jigsaw Puzzle (20 pcs)
- Animated 4th of July Jigsaw Puzzles: Two animated 16-piece jigsaw games are featured here, one of an exploding firecracker, the other of a smoking one. Beware of loud sound effects.
4th of July-Themed Maze Puzzles
Young children with limited reading skills can also benefit from puzzle-solving activities. A variety of maze puzzles to play online or print, online and printable hidden picture games celebrating July 4th and dot-to-dot puzzles with patriotic themes.
Solving maze puzzles has certain benefits for children; to work out the puzzles, children need to concentrate on the problem at hand as well as make use of strategic planning skills. The free maze puzzle games featured below all have themes related to America's Independence Day. Unless indicated otherwise, the puzzles are print only.
Fourth of July Word Scrambles
Test your knowledge of the Declaration of Independence and other events in American history with these fun quiz games, unscrambling the jumbled letters to form words with an Independence Day theme, or give your mind a workout with these free memory games.
These simple scrambled letter games use words associated with the July 4th holiday. Good for kids of middle school age with a good base in reading.
- Fourth of July Word Scramble Worksheet: In this easy word game, eight scrambled words appear next to pictures of what they represent when unscrambled. Print.
- US Presidents Word Scramble: Unscramble the letters to reveal the last names of men who have served as President of the United States. Play online.
4th of July Memory Games
Playing memory games such as Concentration helps kids improve their memory capacity. Here are several memory games to exercise your gray matter.
- Presidential Concentration: Can you match the ten Presidents, chosen at random, which appear in the puzzle? Play online.
- US Symbols Match Game: Match the nine patriotic symbols in this online memory game.
- Fourth of July Concentration: Print out the patriotically-themed memory cards for an offline version to play with friends and family.
Independence Day Quizzes
Here, we have easy to challenging quiz games to see how well you know your American history.
- Independence Day Trivia Quiz: Test your knowledge of early American history and see how you score.
- US Presidents Trivia Quiz: See if you can answer the eleven questions pertaining to the office of the President of the United States, several U.S. Presidents, their accomplishments and their contribution to the history of the nation.
- The Independence Day Quiz: Twenty-one multiple choice questions regarding historical events at the time of the American Revolution.
- Liberty! Road to Revolution Game: A fun interactive trivia quiz from pbs.org.
- Independence Day Quiz - An online quiz game featuring thirteen easy questions pertaining to the Revolutionary War, Independence Day and U.S. history.
- Toast.net Independence Day Quiz: This quiz is made up of 30 questions, 20 of which are found on the actual citizenship test. See how much you know about the land of the free.
We hope you enjoy these free puzzles and activities to celebrate Independence Day with your students or children.